A local brand of matches has come out with a brilliant idea of adding sayings/quotes to matchbox covers. They are not attributed to anyone. Excellent, so far, I say. The problem is that some of their sayings/quotes are cryptic and go to the extent of being nonsensical! We don’t need English translations of Sukumar Ray Choudhuri if this trend continues. The literary ramifications of such an act are many and I’m too tempted to “read” meanings into them. But I won’t. Let’s just enjoy them for what they are: some minutes of entertainment.
· Since light travels faster than sound, isn’t that why some people appears [sic] bright until you hear them?
· Eat your spinach and you’ll grow big and strong like Popeye. You’ll also end up with a girlfriend like Olive Oyl.
· If practice makes perfect, and nobody’s perfect, why practice?
· Why do you press harder on a remote-control when you know the battery is dead?
· Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs louder.
· One of life’s mysteries is how a two-pound box of candy can make a person gain five pounds.
· When a man says “it’s a silly childish game” it’s probably something that his wife can beat him at.
Indeed. See what I mean?