I have resorted to reading therapy to settle down in Bangalore. Today, I went with a close friend to a bookstore. What I like about reading is that it is so escapist. Of course, I know that this is debatable. I can read the books, get lost in the plots, stories, and characters and so don’t have to think about my life here. As usual, children’s fiction and fantasy dominate my reading list.
From Premier Bookstore on Church Street, this is what I got:
- Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder.
- Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson.
- The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson.
- The Thief Lord by Cornelian Funke.
From Blossom’s on the same street, this is what I got:
- Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Book 1 of His Dark Materials trilogy)
- Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (Book 2 of His Dark Materials trilogy)
- Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (Book 3 of His Dark Materials trilogy)
- English as a Global Language by David Crystal.
- The Frog Castle by Jostein Gaarder
I adore Philip Pullman but didn’t have his masterpiece! So, this was my chance to collect the trilogy. Only one thing held me back: I wanted all 3 books in one edition. Unfortunately, that was a tall order for most bookshops. But Blossom’s came through for me. I find the 3 brand new books in different corners of the used bookshop! Now, that’s what I call luck! Now, I want to read and dream. Dream and read. Read the books I got and dream about… oh so many things!